Domesticated Young Men

I never realised how much my kitchen lacked till I started cooking recently. Three weeks ago, mom had a minor stroke which affected half of her mobility. She's hypertensive and diabetic. A double whammy which became the culprits for her recent predicament.

As a result of her condition, John, Quinton and myself are now doing the housework. That involves: cooking, washing clothes and (trying to) keep the house clean.

Stroke causes life-change in people. And it domesticates innocent young men. Besides the household routines, we're taking care of mom - her meals and well-being. John's been doing a lot. Always by mom's side. I try.

I decided that I like cooking. I like concocting my own recipes - which by God's grace - evolves into something edible. I like guessing what ingredients go with what to arrive at a certain taste. I can safely say that my Spaghetti Bolognaise, Carbonara and Chicken curry is not too bad.

I hope, that when/if I get married I could do the chef stuff. And if my wifey can't cook. I could show her how to. I'm just a standard male.

Praise God. Mom can move a little more. She's now able to move two vital fingers on her left hand. Her middle finger and her thumb. I have a rationale as to why it's important, which I won't elaborate here.

Anyways, here are some random tips for single people (men) to get by with life:

1. Learn to live with less. Discard old/unused clothes regularly. Avoid the sometimes irrational 'oh-its-sentimental-value' thought. It does you three favours - 1. Gets rid of mozzies in the closet, 2. Lessens clothes to wash and 3. Gives someone else the privilege of clothes.

2. When cooking. Pray. Okay, okay. Seriously, make sure you have enough ingredients prepared for all the dishes you plan to cook. Avoid doing triple work by cutting onions and garlic again for the second and third dish. Keep your refrigerator stocked up appropriately and proportionately. I have too many onions. Want some?

3. Use kitchen mittens when handling hot pots with no handles.

4. Keep first aid kit in kitchen.

5. Keep first aid kit stocked up.

6. When bored with life, watch Russel Peters. And don't drink Angkor Beer (one of Cambodia's pride and joy).

7. If you've made a mistake with anything, don't fret. Quickly learn your lessons. Grieve a little but move on. You can't change the events but you can do something about its effects. So don't frown. (Yes dear, you). Discard your accidentally-sliced off finger and think happy thoughts.

8. Never lie. Always be direct, open and honest. It saves you a huge hassle emotionally. And you get to stay blameless and less complicated. Complications arise when you try to verbalise the truth in indirect ways.

9. Reflect on everything that happens. And make decisions out of your new discoveries. Life is full of discoveries, beyond Astro. When you decide to convert your discoveries into life principles, you add value to yourself. (Gosh I'm begining to sound like Covey).

10. Believe in God.

(Okay could've lengthened the list but Quinton wants to use the net for a while)

Peace.

Comments

Zhen Lim said…
"Discard your accidentally-sliced off finger and think happy thoughts."

Okay. Let's think happy thoughts.

I never really needed to use that finger anyway. I'm sure I can adjust to playing the piano with only a thumb and 3 fingers left on my right hand. Who knows? I might even become a famous pianist because of my special condition. Imagine. Lim Wei Zhen. First professional pianist to play with only 3 fingers. I could invent a whole new fingering to play scales and in turn benefit the other poor unfortunate pianists who might too, accidentally slice off their finger one day. Then there will be hope for the other one-thumbed-and-three-fingered pianists out there in the world.

*awakes from reverie*

Okay, I think that just confirmed that I desperately need to be admitted into the psychiatric ward.

=P

Don't mind me. I'm just bored.

I think.

Popular Posts