Closure on the Losses

As the year draws to a close, I reflect on my thoughts in the previous post. Although the losses defined 2008 for me, I sense a better year ahead (Ironic, as the rest of the world is expecting a horrible financial 2009). For me, 2009 will see the beginning of some very important changes in the landscape of my ministry and personhood.

I will be turning 30 in 2009, and just like Jesus, I'd like to take my ministry to another level. It's always a tough calling comparing or benchmarking my life to someone like Jesus, but hey, I've got to start somewhere. And it's good to have a role-model who will not let you down. Also, I've always held to the belief that a large part of my personality and character at age 30 will anchor a huge chunk of my adulthood. It's during this phase where the outworking of my faith will become more challenging.

In this age-bracket, I will have to decide if I'm going to remain single or decide on getting married. At the moment, I'm not looking for a relationship as much as a clearer direction in life. It's also during this bracket that I would decide if I'm going to continue running my business or choose to grow in other avenues. My business will be hitting it's 3-year mark in February 2009. That has been my first ambition for the company (to survive for three years).

It's also in my third decade where I will be making bigger mistakes than I've ever made. I'm beginning to welcome making mistakes because I can learn from them. However growing is a tension between making mistakes and learning from them, and trying not to repeat the same mistakes or make new ones. Almost like an oxymoron, but that's the irony of growing.

Slowly, I am beginning to uncover God's plan and my role in it. At the age of 16, I sensed God calling me to work with young people. Looking back, I keep bouncing back to that original call. My career choices, circle of friends, passions, seem to lead me back to it. However, over the years, I've also developed interests and passion in other critical areas such as social concerns (helping the marginalised), music and the arts. I've been spending my late twenties connecting the dots, but only less than half the picture is complete. With the way the world is going today, I feel I have to stay more connected to God so that I can offer more to the world.

I've learned several lessons from my losses this year. Sometimes, (as the cliche goes) you will never know how important something is to you until you've lost it. And when you can't get it back, you just have to grieve it and move on. And sometimes, when you losing something, you will find something else. Perhaps something you have forgotten you had lost before.

Happy 2009!

Comments

Popular Posts