5 Days in Manila Part 1

I have forgotten how free and and liberating walking in the rain and flood felt like. Today, on Rodrigues Avenue, near my hotel in a harsher version of Manila, I decided to get out of my hotel room, walk around and just be with people. As soon as I left the building, it began to drizzle stray drops. But I decided to walk on anyways. Within minutes, I joined a crowded busy town of people dodging water from the sky, taking shelter on narrow corridors of the street shops that sold hair cuts, grilled pork and chicken or selected groceries.

The floods rose fast. Though not detrimental, walking in water was the only way to get across some passages. I stood out like a sore thumb because of my evident darker skintone, and willingness to walk through the rain and floods like everyone else, with no attempt to stay sterile and cautious. I noticed not many gave me second looks as if i didn't belong in the area. Unlike Cambodia, where a mere walk in a semi crowded area can easily turn heads, here in Manila, I seemed to blend in.

The traces of poverty are everywhere. Every other junction, you will see the two worlds colllde - the rich in their tinted imported cars and the poor, selling products while walking against oncoming traffic, or children, left unattended, working or walking aimlessly. One child I saw by the street was displaying signs of being high on glue. Something I saw a lot in Cambodia, and dread to recall. My cab driver, Ray, whose family lives in Luzon, works in Manila. His daughter had to stop her education because of their lack of finances. "Many people here have no work,.." he said, explaining that Philippines has 90 million people, and not many have work, hence they find work abroad. At this point, I made a decision to pay a little more for the cab fee after haggling it down to 75% of the price.

I'm here in Manila for a wedding. Love brings two cultures together. This theme has been playing on my mind a lot in the last few weeks. I'm always revisiting the curious thought of when my turn will happen. When will I find a life-partner whom I can serve and share life with. I've tried, and tried, with the same person recently, and with others in the past, only to run in circles. I think I'm missing something or there's something I'm not doing right. But I know all too well, that it's not about getting the right combinations of words and actions that will guarantee a successful relationship. i still linger on the idea that it is God who connects people. The Genesis template is something I value very highly and I think God still operates in that similar way - where he is the matchmaker and introducer. While walking in the rain and flood earlier, another thought came to mind. If I do settle down, there's probably no way I can have the freedom to do what I did. Unless I marry someone, who doesn't mind getting crazy about the same things I am crazy about.

Comments

twentyfivecents said…
Haha. I guess I got bored and left it at Part 1. Oh well. Philippines was great.
Anonymous said…
tell me.. will it be bored to stay in Manila for 5 days? I'm going there this June.. for 5 days also..
twentyfivecents said…
Hi Mel,

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Well, I liked Manila a lot. Firstly, the people are great. Very pleasant and helpful.

I stayed near the airport in a slightly impoverished area the first night, but I completely enjoyed the place because I went to meet and get to know people in the area and tried their local food.

Then I stayed in a Tagaytay which was a more touristy place. We tried more food and I made some new friends there.

And finally, before returning to Malaysia, I stayed in Makati which is in Manila Central. Lots of shopping malls around there. If you like shopping, that would be a nice place to hang out.

What do you normally like to do when you visit a place?

Kev
Anonymous said…
I like to see people with their normal habit. I'm thinking to go to Cebu for 2 days and spend the rest in Manila. But Tagaytay seems interesting. What can we see there? Is it expensive there? I'll be travelling solo btw...

Popular Posts