Perception

Last week, I went on a shopping spree to buy clothes for a wedding. It has become my habit or tradition to shop for clothes right before a wedding. I usually don't buy new clothes unless I have to (when I either outgrow them, or when they outgrow and decide to wrinkle, fade or tear). However, unlike other weddings, I was shopping for a dress code for this one: Yellow and Blue shirts for both the morning and evening ceremonies. I thought the coat would be optional, but the groom advised me to bring one along, just in case.

The last time I wore a coat was for a friend's wedding. Appointed as the worship leader and master of ceremony, the coat was a must-wear. I like coats. No matter how hot it gets, I can still stand the heat wearing one. However, I had left the coat at the groom's place, and have long forgotten about it. I don't even know if they still have my coat. Anyways, for this wedding, I was coatless.

So that led me to a few crises of decisions. How much should I spend on two shirts that I may not wear after the wedding (because I don't wear yellow or light blue shirts) and a coat that I would only wear for weddings (of which most of my friends are already married, and I won't wear a coat for an acquaintance's wedding, because I may not know him or her well enough to dress up so much). I hunted down the yellow shirt. Couldn't find any, anywhere. Most of the yellow shirts where off-whiteish. I bought a black shirt instead because it was cheap and nice and I like wearing black. I also bought a dark blue shirt, which I thought would meet the dress code, but light blue was the preferred colour. Continued looking for right shirt. Finally settled for the off-whiteish yellow shirt and a sky blue shirt. And then, I decided, I will buy a new coat. The coat was priced at RM200. Ready made, and fitted sufficiently.

At the counter, while paying, the two cashier girls were talking/teasing me about the coat, "Pakai coat ini, macam orang kaya ... macam dato'..." ['wearing this coat, like a rich man... like a dignitary..."] And so I explained about how it was for a wedding of a friend and I had to get dressed for it. I didn't have to explain, but I didn't want them to have the impression that I was a rich person and dressed in such a way. I realised several things from that short moment at the cashier.

One: what you buy and how you dress tells people something about you. I'm pretty conscious about giving people the wrong impression about myself. I think that's true for everyone. No one wants to be misconstrued. The perception I don't want to give people is that I'm well-off, rich and can afford anything. Especially, when that conclusion comes from people who may not be well to do (I don't mean to make a judgment on the two cashiers, but I just didn't want to draw any chasm between us). Firstly, I'm not rich and don't aim to be. And secondly, I want to breakdown financial barriers between people, undo economic injustices and the like. And if my lifestyle communicates an opposing message, I ought to change the way I live. Maybe the clothes I wear.

Two: I am thankful to have places like the Giant Hypermarket, Bintang apparel, Tesco and PJ Old Town, where clothes are made available for a reasonable/ cheap price. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against good quality clothes, with renown brands. What I do challenge is the inflation of prices that go behind such brands. I realise that people aren't really buying them as much for its quality, than for its branding. In advertising, I was taught not to sell the product, but the lifestyle in which the product is a key component. Instead of selling credit cards, sell a lifestyle where you can get anything you want and make people happy with things. Don't sell perfume, sell romance. Don't sell skin-whitening creams, sell acceptance. Don't sell cars, sell status symbols. Don't sell alcohol, sell big dreams, success, comfort. PERCEPTION, can divide and give people a false sense of security (and spend money unnecessarily, thus contributing to a greater inflation of the market, making the economy unjust for many). What I've found interesting is that some of the cheap clothes I've purchased have lasted longer than the branded ones that I owned. In reality, quality isn't that big a difference. Although there are some products that evidently have an inferior quality. Just got to get wise and frugal when shopping.

When I look at the gospel of Jesus, Jesus makes it important for us to live simply and honestly, identifying with people and their needs. The problem with material wealth, being rich and famous is, it makes you less aware of others' needs and desensitizes us to their cries for help. Our benchmark for needs become very different from those who really are in need. Our measurement of crises become very unreal. We find it hard to submit to God's ways, will and perception of things. We find it hard to love Him and one another. We become less of who we ought to be, according to God's prescription and we forfeit our real treasure, which is God's kingdom.


Comments

Anonymous said…
My kinda guy :)

Popular Posts