The Problem Solver


So that spider in the picture sort of represents me at this point in time: I am either building new connections or mending broken ones. At 40 and white-haired, I'm still on an introspective journey to discover what I am suppose to be doing with my life. Or in a Christian sense, am I doing what I am called to do.

A big part of the reflection is: yes. Somehow, in some cosmic-arrangement-divine-intervention-level sort of phenomenon (beyond my control and common sense), I have rebounded back to what I thought I'd be doing in life. Here I am in 2019 fumbling through that 'call' of working with young people. I got acquainted with that 'call' to work with young people when I was fondly labeled as young people (okay, fine. When I was about 16 - a few years ago). Over the years, the desire to work with marginalised young people or youths on the fringes of society became a little more appealing.

I almost got dragged into church work. I say dragged because a lot of well-intentioned church people thought I had the face and heart of a pastor and I could make it big in ministry. As much as I love (and try to love) Jesus and some of his people, I didn't feel convinced  called to church work. Of course at one point, these people felt I was called to be a missionary, 'kingdom servant', youth pastor and all sorts of church-related occupations. Then I realised I'm not omnipresent.

So I decided to continue being a graphic designer and ran my business for the last 13 years.

A deeper part of me recognises the need for the gospel to reach areas that are hurting today, and which the conventional church has little access to. When I say gospel, I'm not talking about bible studies and all sorts of theological baggage that very often leaves people frustrated and confused. Theology is good, but it has to be grounded in God's love and should manifest in good for others. So the gospel here is about who Jesus is, and why having him run your life is a better alternative than running your own life. Jesus came to mend our broken connection with God and he sets a lot of things straight with us.

So I'm officially a social worker. I'm still a graphic designer, although I've been upgrading myself to do more design thinking than actual design work. I also aspire to be a problem-solver, which is what social work, graphic design and the gospel sort of have in common.





Comments

Popular Posts