Hairy Spirituality

Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life. Proverbs 16:31


But I really think God is overdoing it with me. I wish my life would be more godly, but really, the patches of white/gray hair on my scalp are disproportionate to my holiness. And, it's flourishing on the right hemisphere of my bushy head. (A sign? Or have I been over-using my right brain?)

It's interesting how the physical reveals the spiritual. How hair can reveal your walk with God or lack of it. I wonder how you'd explain bald people. Are they going to hell or the highest heavens (since the bright glory of God could reflect very well on their naked glossy scalp). No offence to bald people. Hair is just the icing on a cake.

But I like the logic behind the proverb. Gray hair crowns experience. Having walked through the challenges of life, making lifechanging decisions and reflecting on God's divine intervention throughout life matures oneself. Besides wrinkles, gray hair is one sure sign of maturity. Attributed to people post mid-adulthood (I'm guessing).

As for my bald friends, I'm guessing Solomon (author of proverbs) was genetically endowed with hair in his senior citizenship, hence, his idea of godliness revolved around hair. Or perhaps, balding happened after Christ. (Okay, I can see Anita giving me the kick in the butt for being corny.Girl, I KNOW you).

Anyways, as I live this year with less-than-black strands sprouting on me, my pursuit is godliness; regardless of my hair colour. My world is chaotic with people running helter skelter without an accurate concept of life and existence. And I hope to render myself as part of the solution. And if you're reading this, you're inadvertently accountable to me to make it happen.


* My (bald) uncle in Australia told me this: People who are bald in front
, think a lot. People who are balding from the centre, are sexy. People who are balding both in front and the centre, think they are sexy.

Comments

Popular Posts