Am I Really that Young?

I never had a problem telling people my age. I'm one of those who hardly get affected when people know my 'little' secret. But nowadays, I get mildly annoyed when people query. Sometimes, they ask to genuinely know - and I'm okay with that. Other times, I get a sense that people like to establish their social hierarchy by insinuating the "Oh-I'm-older-than-you-so-shut-up-and-listen" notion.

Some, shallow in thought and deed, fail to realise that maturity and foresight are never attributed to age. Maturity is the development of character and wisdom built through one's experiences. Age is really just a number attached to someone indicating his stage in life. (Perhaps it's God's way of giving us a number to queue for the grave). So I try not to let age shape and shade the way I understand people and what they have to say. Though having said that, people who're matured in age would've developed wisdom through their necessary experiences in life. The older you get, the more mistakes you'd have made to learn some lessons - assuming you've learned them.

I'm told I look younger than I am. And I find it an impediment sometimes when I meet new people or try to sell my ideas to some. People assume I'm still in college, high school, or just started working. I've left high school ten years ago, college eight, and started working since 1999. (If you consider client-servicing as work experience, than I've been working since 1997).

Some months ago, I joined a minsitry that fed the homeless in Kuala Lumpur.Various young volunteers supported the ministry. Being new, I was briefly acquainted with a few. A young looking gentleman approached me and asked, "Are you in Secondary School?" I smiled and said no. "I'm working. I run a design business". His astounded look motivated him to query my age. His second astounded look happened after realising he was three years my junior and wrapping up his final year at a local uni. I stood amused. After the event had ended, a young-looking girl -probably in her early or mid-twenties (whom I'd not been introduced to) walked up to me to bid farewell, "Okay boy, I'm going. See you."

I stood astounded and amused.

*Hmm... maybe I'm just one of those ageless guys who will look the same from womb to tomb. Just hope I won't end up with a super young wife. Then again... ah nevermind.

Comments

Shan said…
I so totally relate to what you're going through. If it's any consolation, when you're good, you're good - people will recognise it sooner or later. From experience, I find that looking young can also be a blessing in disguise. Expectations from others are lower therefore it is easier to exceed expectations. ;)
Anonymous said…
yo bro,

It's always cool looking young and have a really young wife... as long as she's 18 n above:)Stay young O Decade old high shcool leaver
Anonymous said…
yo bro,

It's always cool looking young and have a really young wife... as long as she's 18 n above:)Stay young O Decade old high shcool leaver

Popular Posts