Art from Heart

It's during my busiest moments at work that I feel compelled to write something on my blog. (And you wonder why I've not been writing lately huh?). But now, I've got tonnes to do and I secretly yearn to write some, dodging important deadlines. (oklar, not so drama. Just finished one brochure design - break time now). But I think it's a defense mechanism at work. A psychosomatic response in adversity to more work!

But I love work. Nothing keeps me going than an encouraged client. And, a nice paycheck.

I've learned that running a business and doing design are two different ball games. Both equally exciting. Both equally challenging. Nonetheless, I have to be realigned to why I'm doing what I'm doing. I want to boldly proclaim that: I'm not doing this for the profits! But sometimes, the profits shout louder.

I'm tempted to let wealth and profit dictate my decision-making. With the types of clients I'm getting, it's easy for me to get side-tracked by the lure of wealth. My only reason for working is to partner God in what he is doing. I think, he's keen on providing the world with some really really good designs. You laugh. But I believe that all good things come from Him.

Sadly, the world and its messed up value system has corrupted the means and ends to design (and pretty much other forms of work). The quality in design is compromised because design jobs are done last minute. Last minute work happens because greedy (for profits) designers/agencies take on more jobs than they can handle. Sometimes, unreasonable clients (the ones who want work done by yesterday so that they can get a pat on their backs and a golden star from the boss) apply unrealistic pressure, only to have a shoddy job completed. The design may look good, but the value - non-existent. The world has separated ART from HEART.


So, I believe, God wants to redeem it.

I also believe that my job is a means for me to help people get back on track with God. There is only one way people can ever get back on track with God, and that is through a relationship with Jesus. I'm not mincing my words with this, any other attempts to reach God apart from Jesus is futile. If you are trying hard on your own merit, please don't waste time. I've journeyed enough to know and believe that this is truth. And my heart goes out to those who are searching, but haven't found truth yet.

I hope we could connect and walk on the same journey.

Comments

Unknown said…
Amen, bro. ;)

Popular Posts