Shaken for Integrity

Tremors were felt for over 5 minutes in the Sunway Convention Centre on Saturday as the speaker, a lawyer, lended his two cents on corruption. Graduates Christian Fellowship and OHMSI organised the 1st National Congress on Integrity which was aimed at creating awareness against corruption and ultimately, developing integrity in the Christian community. The inaugural congress had featured a selection of distinguished delegates from within the Christian circle and outside. Politicians, business icons and theologians contributed in various capacities. All, shapers and shakers of society.

The tremors were real.

But I was shaken even more by the spirit of the convention. All who spoke had an indomitable desire to clean society at all levels. From the judiciary all the way down to the man on the street. From corporate crimes - where 'crimes are committed without the criminals' to the sales of illegal vcds. The participants were invited to respond to the call of integrity by signing a pledge to the cause against corruption, and the walk towards a lifestyle of integrity. Participants were to get a witness upon signing and were invited to make copies of it - as a reminder to the commitment made.

I haven't signed mine yet.

I'm learning how to be true to myself. And though my ideal is to live by integrity, I realise I have areas in my life that needs working out before I make a commitment of such height. Below are some of my convictions, and the costs of signing the pledge:

I don't believe in pirated VCDs or Computer software. Many people debate this. I heard a theologian condone the purchase of pirated products: "They are charging first world prices on a third world country". My dear friend, the ones buying these VCDs have first world salaries and can very well afford originals. So I don't buy into such excuses. But I'm guilty of supporting it indirectly. I watch borrowed copies.

I struggle with computer software. Firstly, Adobe's software aren't cheap. If you're starting out as a designer, you'd probably need close to RM10k to work in integrity. As far as the office is concerned - we're integrity-friendly. When it boils down to personal software on my laptop, I fail.

I don't believe in giving bribes to escape hardship. If I make a mistake, I will pay for it, the morally correct way. I was at a young adults camp and one the members arrived late because he was held up in a speed trap. He arrived at the campsite broke after using his last RM 50 to bribe the cops.

Two problems here.
1. The level of integrity in citizens are practically absent. Religious or not, pragmatism robs people of moral and honest living.


2. We have a huge defect in the system. Firstly, we don't have the right people policing the country and secondly, we are not providing enough for them in terms of monetary awards -allowing them to gravitate into such illegal activity.

Bribing is easy and cheaper. Honesty is hard and expensive. One of these has an eternal value. You choose.

I don't believe in towing-the-line when we're going in the wrong direction. Nevertheless, I struggle when it comes to vocalising my convictions and assertively putting my foot down on what is right. When 6 billion people believe in a stupid idea, that doesn't make the idea any smarter. This is where discernment and wisdom is needed, and conviction to be firm on the right decisions.

If I signed the pledge, these are the few things I'd need to consider:

1. No more illegal U-turns on the road in front of my condo.

2. No more pets in my condo.

3. No parking by the road outside my condo.

4. No parking in the residential area opposite my office to escape paying parking fees.

5. No more watching the hundreds of illegal VCDs my brother has found/bought/borrowed.

6. Uninstalling Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Flash from my laptop.

7. No more allowing people to buy me illegally discounted movie tickets (or other tickets).
Eg. At student rates, or through 'friends' working in the cinema.

8. No more parking in my church basement without special pass.

9. Perhaps, no more using the free wireless internet connection available almost all over PJ
(This is under debate on C.Net)

10. Making sure every minute spent in the office is for the benefit of the company.

11. Making sure that when I speak/teach/train, I put in double the effort in preparation and not depend on last minute 'inspiration' to get things going.

12. Making sure that I dedicate enough time to the family and their needs by saying no to work, church and friends appropriately.

13. Living as a citizen of good conduct. Which also means - reprimanding fellow citizens for small injustices; eg: inviting youngster in LRT to offer his/her seat to an elderly/ handicapped or expecting mother, etc.


This is a really tall order. I will sign the pledge, but with the right witness and work on what I can. What I can't I'd have to ask God for help/discernment/ and lots of grace.


kev...

Comments

daenielle said…
Awesome to hear that you supported my dad on this thing! Thanks!

Popular Posts