Sucker Love

Sucker love is heaven sent.You pucker up, our passion's spent.My hearts a tart, your body's rent.My body's broken, yours is spent.Carve your name into my arm.Instead of stressed, I lie here charmed.Cuz there's nothing else to do,Every me and every you.Sucker love, a box I choose.No other box I choose to use.Another love I would abuse,No circumstances could excuse.In the shape of things to come.Too much poison come undone.Cuz there's nothing else to do,Every me and every you.Every me and every you,Every Me...he Sucker love is known to swing.Prone to cling and waste these things.Pucker up for heavens sake.There's never been so much at stake.I serve my head up on a plate.It's only comfort, calling late.Cuz there's nothing else to do,Every me and every you.Every me and every you,Every Me...heEvery me and every you,Every Me...heLike the naked leads the blind.I know I'm selfish, I'm unkind.Sucker love I always find,Someone to bruise and leave behind.All alone in space and time.There's nothing here but what here's here's mine.Something borrowed, something blue.Every me and every you.Every me and every you,Every Me...heEvery me and every you,Every Me...he [x4] - placebo

Josh Harris' books had an interesting, albeit controversial, take on Boy-Girl-Relationships. I remember reading them a long, long, long time ago when I was struck with the love bug and while my friends were revving up in the dating circuit. We cheered each other on, lent some advice and wacthed how some of JH's principles unfolded.

Perhaps one of the interesting anecdotes from his book (or perhaps from another book, I forget) is about an American soldier off to war.

The soldier, having been called to service in Korea was left with no choice but to report for duty. Like most soldiers upon receiving such news, he was struck with a crisis -- having to leave his loved ones behind, namely his newfound love.

The only possible way to keep in contact with her was the postal service, of which, their love letters would be transacted by airmail, and hand. So the promise was made. He and his love made a covenant to write each other daily - when possible.

Not long after his absence, her mailbox began to fill up. In Korea, he too was known for his abundant letters. And weeks went by, the letters began to pile. And pile. And, pile.

The battle in Korea got a little rocky. No more time for love-letter writing. Ammunition was scarce. The war seemed unending. Everyone had to focus. More weeks slipped by without letters. The war was almost over. The Americans pronounced victory. His covenant with her was on hold. "But that's okay? The war is over. I'm going home to her soon."

Home he was.
And he was in for a surprise.

At her doorstep, he noticed a tinge of a difference. The flowers on her lawn were different. The ones he gave her were no longer there. Oh well, girls tastes in flowers change afterall, he thought. With a bouquet in his hand, he rang her doorbell. Mentally prepared for her to leap into his arms.

The door swung open. He grinned cheek to cheek - the post-Korean war smile. And frowned soon after when a wrinkled old lady appeared before him. "Oh hi. Thought you died in the war. My daughter's at the church for her wedding rehearsal. You might want to run, its gonna start soon."

The frown remained as he dashed for the church. The procession was in progress. The couple at the altar had exchanged their mock rings, vows and commitments. The American soldier, lost in his emotion, wanted to know who it was. Who could've swept her off her feet in those months of absence? Was it her childhood friend, etc., etc.?

Dejected, he asked a stranger, "who is she marrying?".

"Oh you don't know? She's marrying the postman who kept delivering her mail everyday in the past three months. It was an unusual load of mail for her. Ha ha.. Must've been love letters from her boy in the Korean war..."

MORAL OF THE STORY
Firstly, long distance relationships are risky, especially when separation happens at infancy.

Secondly, personal contact beats letter-writing anytime.

Thirdly, relationships have to be based on something stronger than physical attraction, personality and character.


I'd hate to be the American soldier. Oh well, one day things will change.

Comments

Popular Posts